Monday, March 06, 2006

Top 5

This post is dedicated to some of my favorite albums. They are not necessarily the top 5 albums ever, but they are albums you can listen to front to back and every song (or almost every song) is great. Feel free to agree or disagree, or to post your own in the comments section.

1. Radiohead - OK Computer. This might be my favorite album of all time. Simply amazing.
2. Radiohead - The Bends. This might be my 2nd favorite of all time. There was a 5 year period where Radiohead could do no wrong.
3. Sheryl Crow - Tuesday Night Music Club. This might seem like an unlikely choice, but have you listened to it? This was an amazing debut, and one that Crow hasn't been able to replicate.
4. Foo Fighters - There is Nothing Left to Lose. Probably my favorite Foo Fighters album, and probably my favorite album to run to (back when I did that kind of thing).
5.Teenage Fanclub - Bandwagonesque. This album is full of great songs, and Teenage Fanclub has a unique sound that takes me back to 1995.
Honorable Mention: U2 - Achtung Baby, Grant Lee Buffalo - Mighty Joe Moon, Lucinda WIlliams - Essence, Lenny Kravetz - 5, and Peter Breinholt - Songs About the Great Divide. I'm sure I have left off many deserving albums, but you can't miss with any of these.

8 comments:

Butterfield Family said...

A few more: Beck- Sea Change, Cake - Fashion Nugget and Pressure Chief, Depeche Mode - Violator, REM - Reckoning, and The Samples - Outpost.

Anonymous said...

I am shocked, no mention of the Stones "paint it black". It must have been just a phase. But for true classic albums that you can listen to and enjoy every cut, how about "Pet Sounds" or "Abbey Road" (this from someone who isn't even a Beatle fan). Speaking of gotta have music. There is an old Ray Stevens song called "The Cyclone" about pro wrasslin'. I'm sure that once you experience it, it will zoom right to your top 10, being that you are a true believer.

Butterfield Family said...

The Stones "Hot Rocks" is definitely one of my favorites, but i left it off because it is a best hits album. A lot of the Stones' albums have 2 or 3 great songs and 7 or 8 not so great songs, which is why I didn't include any of them on the list. I do agree with Abbey Road and Pet Sounds though. Both are top 5 worthy. Two more albums I failed to include are Counting Crowes - August and Everything After, and This Desert Life.

Anonymous said...

I would have to say that my top 5 favorite albums are (in no particular order)
1) Neutral milk hotel: in the aeroplane over the sea
2) Pavement: Slanted and Enchanted
3)The smiths: the queen is dead
4)Tv on the radio: young liars
5) sigur ros: ()

maybe anyway, there are actually about 100 of my favorite albums of all time, these are the only ones i could think of right now

Butterfield Family said...

Hey, sorry to hear about Russin's uncle. I hope she is doing ok.

Travis Butterfield said...

what what? No Air Supply????

Butterfield Family said...

I only have their greatest hits, and I excluded any greatest hits album from my list.

Butterfield Family said...

OK Jeff, I was wrong and I owe you dinner.