Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Cancer? Is it cancer? Do I have cancer?

Some of you might know that I was recently diagnosed with a thyroid nodule after having an MRI for neck pain. After the nodule was discovered, my doctor sent me for a thyroid ultrasound (it's a boy!!) to determine whether it was a solid mass (potentially bad) or a cyst (not a big deal). The ultrasound results showed that the nodule was a solid mass, with a small secondary nodule that was part mass and part cyst. The next step in the process was to go for a thyroid scan where I was given a special medicine in an iodine capsule (iodine eventually makes its way to the thyroid) and 6 hours later they performed a scan to determine whether the nodule was hot (making too much hormone), warm (normally functioning tissue) or cold (not functioning tissue -- bad). I had an appointment with my doctor and an Ear Nose and Throat doctor yesterday to review the results of the scan. The good news is that the scan found "no cold defects." So it is unlikely that the nodule is cancer. The ENT wants me to have a biopsy performed just in case, but he said there is no rush to get it done, so I can wait until after I take the Bar before getting the biopsy.

Anyway, the whole process kind of reminded me of one of my favorite Seinfeld episodes where George has a "white discoloration" on his lip that he fears is cancer. I've copied a few of my favorite scenes below for your reading enjoyment:

[setting: doctor's clinic]
GEORGE: You see, It's right here. It's all white...
DOCTOR: Oh yeah. Yeah. I've never seen this before.
GEORGE: You've never seen this before?
DOCTOR: I'm gonna have to take a biopsy on that. (George grabs the doctor's arm)
GEORGE: (dramatically) A what?
DOCTOR: A biopsy.
GEORGE: A biopsy?
DOCTOR: Yeah.
GEORGE: Cancer? Is it cancer? Do I have cancer?
DOCTOR: Well I don't know what it is.
(scene ends)
[setting: Jerry's]
GEORGE: A biopsy!
JERRY: What did he say?
GEORGE: He said he didn't know what it was.
JERRY: Alright. So?
GEORGE: When I asked him if it was cancer, he didn't give me a "get outta here". That's what I wanted to hear: "Cancer? Get outta here?"
JERRY: Well, maybe he doesn't have a "get outta here" kind of personality.
GEORGE: How could you be a doctor and not say "get outta here"? It should be part of the training at medical school: "Cancer? Get outta here!" "Go home! What are you crazy? It's a little test. It's nothing. You're a real nut. You know that?" (Jerry gives him half of his sandwich to hopefully shut him up) I told you that God would never let me be successful. I never should've written that pilot. Now the show will be a big hit, we'll make millions of dollars, and I'll be dead. Dead Jerry. Because of this. (showing his lip)

The next day ...
GEORGE: This is George Costanza, I'm calling for my test results. Negative? Oh, my God. WHY! WHY! WHY? What? What? Negative is good? Oh, yes of course! How stupid of me. Thank you. Thank you very much. (he hangs up)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad the tests results were good!!! I'm sure its a relief. Although I'm sure you'll feel even better when the final biopsy is taken. One thing at a time....

TBUTT13 said...

classic episode. nice

Travis Butterfield said...

what the heck? wow. I never heard about this. That's kind of scary. I'm glad it isn't a big deal. What a random thing to happen . . .

Lumpy said...

your blog is weak... why dont you try a real one

http://kylejacobbutterfield.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

hey chad. when do you hear about the bar? have you guys moved yet?

Butterfield Family said...

Yeah, we moved on tuesday. I don't hear about the bar until Oct. 16th.

Travis Butterfield said...

Why don't you do an update or something. Come on, man. Ha ha.