Monday, January 30, 2006

Jury Duty



Right now I'm sitting on a bench outside the law school enjoying some beautiful weather. According to weather.com it is currently 63 degrees here. I can't believe how mild this winter has been. Especially considering last year at this time there was about 2 feet of snow on the ground and it was about 5 degrees (-10 with the wind chill). So I got a notice about 10 days ago that I was called for grand jury service beginning March 8th. The grand jury requirement was once/week for 17 weeks so I wrote back and told them that due to the fact that I will be moving in May, I will be physically unable to perform jury service. A week later I got another notice, this time they had changed me from grand jury to petit jury, which is only a 1 trial commitment. The problem is, they changed the date to June 13th! I guess they missed the whole thing about me moving in May. I called the jury management office today and explained to them that I will not be living in New Jersey at the time, and they told me to just fax a copy of my employment offer and they would release me from service. It's kind of too bad, I think it would be pretty interesting to serve on a jury. It's also kind of funny because I was called for jury duty in Provo and the date was for September 2004, which was about a month after I moved out here.

No comments: