Friday, June 02, 2006

My job

I'm on my lunch break and I have a few minutes to post, so I thought I'd post a little something on what it is I do every day at my job. I would say about 70% of what I do every day is research legal issues for the attorneys. For example, an attorney might be writing a brief or drafting a motion, and he or she may need a case to support a legal position advanced in the document. This is where I come in. They will give me the issue to research and I look for cases that support our position. Sometimes the attorney will ask for a memo discussing the position, but most of the time they will just ask me to find the cases and hi-light the applicable text. I have also had some assignments where I will have to organize documents given to us from the client, or search through documents to find something in particular. That is pretty boring, but it is a lot easier to do knowing I am getting paid to do it. I have gotten to draft a few documents like interrogatories, requests for production of documents, a motion, an order, and a couple of memos. I have also gone to court a couple of times to watch oral arguments. That's fun because I just sit in the gallery and watch. It's funny, because I have been doing a lot of this stuff at school, and now I am getting paid to do it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

All this to do about the fact that you haven't blogged for a few weeks. Since I found out that you have an office with a window on the 14th floor overlooking Las Vegas, I frankly don't care when you last blogged. I will just sit here in my cubicle and read someone elses.
Dad

Butterfield Family said...

Yeah, but just think, in a week you will be able to sit on the deck of a mountain cabin and enjoy the smell of a dead raccoon.