Friday, January 13, 2006

10:10




I have somewhat of an obsession with watches, and I currently own three. My first "real" watch was a 1962 Rolex Air-King (top picture) that was my high school graduation present. I am wearing that watch today, and it is fitted with a black lizard band. Sometimes I wear it with a tan strap, depending on my mood. In 1999 I bought a Rolex Submariner and owned it for about a year, when I traded it for a Baume & Mercier Capeland Chronograph. (Middle picture). I love the Baume & Mercier, but looking back I wish I would have kept the Submariner. The Baume & Mercier is fitted with a "honey" colored crocodile band. In 2000 I received a 1951 Gruen Curvex (bottom picture) as a Christmas present. Like the Air-King the Gruen is fitted with a black lizard band. I don't wear that watch as often as the other two, partly because it is more delicate and I don't want it to break, but also because it is much more dressy. I usually only wear it with a suit. Most of the time that I waste on the internet is devoted to looking at watches, and I have been able to find pictures of watches that are identical or very close to those in my collection. The Rolex pictured is not my watch, but I did buy the dial of that exact watch and had it installed on my watch. The Capeland and the Gruen pictures are virtually identical to mine. By the way, pay attention next time you see a picture of a watch in an advertisement. The hands are almost always set to the 10:10 position. I have heard that this is because it makes the watch appear as though it is "smiling" but another reason is it usually provides a pretty clear shot of the dial.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you and your crazy watches. did you see the message i left for ya yesterday?

Anonymous said...

my, my, that gruen curvex must be a real special piece since it is a vintage 1951. Some of the best things in life are vintage 1951

Butterfield Family said...

Yeah, I guess '51 was a good year. And Troy - I haven't dropped Jay yet for you. Lindsay would kill me!

Anonymous said...

ha! watch this!! =( that is a sad face (yet another watch pun) ha! how is jersey? did you like my previous comment or did i make you a sad face? anyway, i hope all is well up there in the great white (almost anyway) north. my watches always break, thank goodness for the lifetime warranty. I got a new one since the dork keeps breaking. its the boss, which is not a shout out to your current friend (at least geographically) bruce springsteen. i dont know where i am going with this so bye

Butterfield Family said...

I don't know where you were going with it either. Jersey is great, we had 60 degree weather 2 days ago but it is raining today. We're actually about the same lattitude as Utah, so the temperature is about the same, but we have humidity.